Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Life through a lense


If a picture is worth a thousand words, than how many words is a lifetime of pictures worth? I realized when staring at the giant wall of photos for Ethan's first birthday party just how precious a photo can be. It was as if I were standing at the foot of a mountain that seemed far bigger than I had ever imagined.  Sure, I knew he'd turn one, but where did the time go? How had he gotten so big? It didn't seem like such a bad deal when he was only 2 months old!

You know that you're kids grow up. Darn it, it's just what they do. But to see it staring you in your face was like a bucket of cold water waking you up from a deep sleep. I realized that, for me, my camera is one of the most valuable possessions I own. It allows me to capture the wonderful, the mundane, the silly, the sad, the everyday. I thought to myself how wonderful it will be years and years from now when all of our kids are grown and with their own children to be able to look back on a lifetime of memories in print and be taken back to the very instant it was captured. Needless to say, knowing how quickly this first year has gone by, prying a camera out of my hands will be an impossible task!


No comments:

Post a Comment