Saturday, September 18, 2010

Comfort food gets skinny

Diagnosed with hypoglacemia 2 years ago, I've had to really think more about the way I eat. While I've always thought I've eaten pretty well, even some not-so-bad for you things will send my blood sugar into a downward spiral that I can't quite bring myself out of. In search of recipes that mimic my favorite foods with a slight twist, I found a fantastic recipe from Diabetic Living magazine for homemade macaroni and cheese. Tweaking a comfort food staple had me thinking that I was disobeying the old mantra of "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it". However, the end result was quite tasty. And the whole wheat noodles seem to be a little easier on my teeter-totter sugar levels!! Gabe and I have made this quite a few times and really enjoy it!!! Not to mention it's a little easier on the wasteline. So, if you're looking for a way to lighten up a hearty meal, give this a try!!
Skinny Cheddar Mac n' Cheese:

8    ounces dried wheat elbow macaroni
Nonstick cooking spray
1   12 ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
2    eggs, slightly beaten
2    teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
3    teaspoons salt
3    cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain and keep warm
3.  While pasta is cooking, in a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, egg, onion powder, pepper and salt.
4.  Add drained macaroni and cheddar cheese (reserve some of the cheese for the top)
5.  Lightly coat a 2 quart baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray (I love mine from Crate and Barrell)
6.  Add the macaroni mixture and top with remaining cheese
7.  Bake for 25 minutes
8.  The last 5-10 minutes of cooking, turn your broiler on high to slightly "brown" the cheddar topping

No comments:

Post a Comment