Thursday, August 26, 2010

Going green

I love anything homemade. And while I hate the clean up, cooking up something yummy in the kitchen always cheers me up. I've been wanting to make my own pesto, so recently I decided to give it a whirl and it was wonderful, and easy to boot!! We've mixed it in with a little red wine vinegar and drizzled it over our salmon and red cabbage, added it to a chicken and tomato pasta...really it's good on just about anything. And with only a few ingredients, it's a breeze to make!
Homemade Pesto: (as you can tell by this recipe, I never measure anything when I cook!)

1 handful of flat spinach leaves
1 handful of basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic
Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (it's cheese, so you can't go wrong w/ LOTS of it!)
1 handful of toasted walnuts (traditionally, pine nuts are used, but walnuts are just as good!)
Olive oil
A pinch of salt

No chopping required. Toss in your spinach, basil, salt, shredded cheese and [peeled] garlic gloves into a food processor. Toast your pine nuts or walnuts for about 2 minutes over medium heat. Add to processor. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while processing until the texture is smooth. I add just a touch of water if it seems a bit too thick and I've already used quite a bit of oil!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment